Alcohol Poisoning

  1. Article SummaryPrint
  2. How Much Is Too Much?
  3. What Is Alcohol Poisoning?
  4. Additional Signs to Watch For

Treatment is necessary as soon as possible after the symptoms of alcohol poisoning are recognized. The signs of alcohol poisoning vary somewhat from person to person, so it is important to be educated about the variety of symptoms that can potentially occur. Treatment for alcohol poisoning is completed at an emergency facility so the medical staff can monitor the patient for additional symptoms and life-threatening conditions.
"...it is important to be educated about the variety of symptoms of alcohol poisoning that can potentially occur."
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are about 79,000 deaths caused by excessive alcohol use each year in the United States. Alcohol poisoning is a major concern and a complication of excessive drinking, so it's important to seek help if you or a loved one is dependent on or addicted to alcohol. For information on the closest alcohol detoxification and rehabilitation centers, call our hotline at 1-888-652-3778. Our staff has the information you need to get well and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Did You Know?

A standard drink in the United States is composed of 0.6 ounces of pure alcohol. This can be a drink of any size, as long as this amount of alcohol is included.

If you would like to learn more about treatments for alcohol poisoning and alcohol addiction, call our hotline at 1-888-652-3778.

How Much Is Too Much?

Alcohol poisoning treatment will be based on how much someone has had to drink. Some standard drinks that are considered one alcoholic drink include:

  • 5 ounces of wine
  • 8 ounces of malt liquor
  • 12 ounces of beer
  • 12 ounces of a wine cooler

binge drinkingIt is important to know that different sizes of drinks can contain more than one serving of alcohol. For example, 24 ounces of beer is two drinks, not one. Binge drinking, which can lead to alcohol poisoning, occurs when a woman drinks four or more alcoholic beverages at one occasion. For a man, consuming five or more drinks is considered to be binge drinking.

More than one drink per day for women and more than two drinks per day for men is considered to be heavy drinking. Heavy drinking can also lead to alcohol poisoning, and it is even more likely to cause long-term health problems. If you would like to learn about the potential damage long-term drinking can cause, call our 24-hour hotline at 1-888-652-3778. Our helpful staff can provide you with the information you need to get healthy, and they can also provide you with all the information you could need on detoxification centers, rehabilitation clinics, intervention facilities, and more.

Alcohol poisoning is a serious consequence of excessive drinking, so it's important to help your friends and family members to stop drinking heavily to prevent this kind of dangerous alcohol overdose. Alcohol poisoning treatment can help someone who has overdosed.

What Is Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is a medical emergency. It occurs when a person's blood alcohol levels are so high the central nervous system is suppressed. Alcohol poisoning symptoms include:

  • A loss of consciousness
  • Low blood pressure
  • Low body temperature
  • Coma
  • Respiratory depression
  • Death

Alcohol PoisoningIf someone you know has been heavily drinking, passes out and won't wake up, or if he or she stops breathing, call 911 immediately and start CPR if necessary. It is important to seek emergency treatment as soon as possible to prevent damage from occurring in the body. Once the medical team is there, a number of steps can be taken to remove the alcohol from the system and to negate the negative effects of alcohol on the body during the overdose. Even if you are unsure if your friend or family member has had too much to drink, it is better to err on the side of caution. If you would like to learn more about alcohol poisoning, call our hotline at 1-888-652-3778. Our team is happy to help you understand what treatments are available for those who are at risk of suffering from alcohol poisoning or from the long-term negative effects of alcohol abuse.

Did You Know?

Alcohol can be ingested faster than monitors can read, which means a monitor may not read a blood alcohol content as high as it is. Alcohol poisoning treatment is vital to prevent additional damage to the body in these situations.

Additional Signs to Watch For

Even if a person has only passed out, it is important to understand that the blood alcohol content can continue to rise and lead to dangerous levels of alcohol in the body. Someone who has had too much alcohol could also vomit, which could lead to asphyxiation if the person is unconscious.
Some additional signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning include:

  • Irregular breathing
  • Hypothermia
  • Blue-colored skin
  • Pale skin
  • Seizures
  • Mental confusion
  • Vomiting

If someone is showing these symptoms, it is very important to seek addiction treatment immediately. Call 911 right away. Even if the patient does not die from the poisoning, it can lead to brain damage and potentially be fatal the next time.

Find a Treatment Center Today
Call Us Toll Free 1-888-652-3778 Sponsored by Leading Treatment Centers Or click the button below to request a free assessment Free Assessment
Photos
  • Retrieved from wheatoncollege.
  • 1688 × 1126 - 362k - jpg
  • had alcohol poisoning ?
  • 1839 × 2764 - 363k - jpg
  • Identifying Alcohol Poisoning
  • About Alcohol Poisoning
  • 600 × 150 - 90k - jpg
  • mixing alcohol poisoning fatal
  • 800 × 516 - 237k - jpg
Popup content
News
Get Your Questions Answered
Leave a Question
  • (will not be published)

13 Questions
  1. Question: What is a physical addiction?Submitted By: Arlene B.

    Reply
    • S.F.

      A physical addiction is where the body becomes tolerant to a drug and requires more to function normally. The body stops producing certain chemicals because the drug is creating them. Once the drug is withdrawn, the body will take a while to restart production of these chemicals.

  2. Question: What is a psychological addiction?Submitted By: Gordon B

    Reply
    • Project Know Answer:

      A psychological addiction is where person feels as though he or she cannot function without the drug, particularly in stressful or social situations.

  3. Question: Why is cough medicine addictive?Submitted By: KY

    Reply
    • Regina G

      A number of cough medicines contain dextromethorphan, also known as DMX, or codeine, which are addictive substances.

  4. Question: how many point of gram should a person take?Submitted By: poy

    Reply
  5. Question: How Much is your Program… I really need help but I don’t have any moneySubmitted By: Cody Hager

    Reply
  6. Question: What do you do if you know for a fact that a loved one is addicted to pain killers, is stealing & lying to get them, but won’t admit it? How do we get them to admit it and get help?Submitted By: Charlene Schultz

    Reply
  7. Question: I need to go to medcai detoxSubmitted By: Charlotte Gros

    Reply
    • Project Know Answer:

      Call (800) 928-9139 now and get the help you need.

  8. Question: i am looking for an in patient program in or around rosemount that deals with drug addictionSubmitted By: mary

    Reply
  9. Question: is there any inpatient drug programs that except prop 36. n that will allow me to have my 4 year old daughter wit meSubmitted By: Jessica Phillips

    Reply
Useful Resources

Here are some Useful Resources for Alcohol Poisoning.

Call Today.
1-888-652-3778