Top Local Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers Near You
Addiction is a chronic, relapsing disorder that can have an effect on a person’s physical and psychological health. In 2016, more than 63,000 people died from drug overdose in the US. Similarly, alcohol abuse killed 88,000 individuals.1
Fortunately, help is available to individuals battling substance use disorders (SUDs). In 2017, there were 13,857 facilities in the US that offered help for individuals struggling with SUDs. People looking for local drug rehabs can find outpatient treatment, offered by 82% of facilities, residential non-hospital treatment offered by 23% of rehabs, and hospital inpatient care that is provided by 5% of facilities.2
If you are looking for rehab programs for alcohol and drug addiction near you, you are not alone. In fact, a study showed that approximately 8.1% of the general US population asked to be treated in local drug rehab centers in 2014. Many of them likely didn’t know where to start with their treatment. We’ll help you start your journey to recovery.3
Treatment Types at Local Treatment Centers
Not all people suffering from SUD require the same type of treatment. This is why there are many substance abuse treatment centers, as well as several types of different drug and alcohol treatment programs available.4
- Detox is a set of interventions that helps individuals deal with symptoms of withdrawal. Withdrawal happens when the toxins are leaving a person’s body, and for the most patients, this is the most uncomfortable moment of treatment.5
- A good recovery center near you should offer tailored treatment plans for each individual. These plans are modified and have to be reviewed often so they’ll fit the patient’s ever-changing needs. The plans address not just the SUD, but any other mental disorder that might be present.
- Counseling is one of the most commonly used types of treatment. It can be individual, group, or a combination of both. Counseling can also be a form of preparation for a community-based treatment.
- Therapy is usually done as a part of outpatient and inpatient programs. It usually involves some form of behavioral therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, multidimensional family therapy, or couples therapy.4
- Support groups offer both internal and environmental support for the struggling individual. They help people with SUD realize that they need to make significant lifestyle changes. Support groups can be used during the beginning or end of the treatment at local drug rehabs.6
- Finally, reputable local treatment centers near you should provide you with aftercare planning services. Aftercare, or ‘continuing care’, helps prevent relapse and promote lasting recovery. It comes in several formats, such as individual therapy, group counseling, brief check-ups, telephone counseling, as well as self-help meetings.7
What Does a Typical Day in a Local Inpatient Drug Rehab Look Like?
Many people suffering from SUDs wonder what a day at a local inpatient drug rehab will look like. In general, residential inpatient treatment centers tend to follow a structured schedule to help you develop healthy habits that might look something like this:8
- When looking at drug rehab facilities near you, expect to be required to wake up early for breakfast. Some treatment centers offer meditation or yoga to begin the day. After breakfast, you’ll likely have therapy sessions focused on changing your lifestyle.
- Lunch will likely be healthy, followed by a series of therapeutic sessions. The most intensive therapy is likely to be in the middle of the day. This can include individual behavioral therapy, group therapy, specialized sessions, family therapy, and so on.
- In the afternoon, you can expect to have some free time. However, some rehabs near you may expect you to participate in certain activities, such as ping-pong, pool, or going to the library.
- Dinners are usually followed by another short group session. Many local rehabs offer 12-step programs in the evenings. Also, bedtime should be at a reasonable hour to help cultivate healthy habits. Clients who get more sleep tend to have more energy to participate in treatment during the day.
How to Select a Local Drug Rehab Program?
When choosing a rehab program near you, you may want to take into consideration features such as program length, available treatment techniques, payment options, and amenities.4
First, you may want to explore outpatient and inpatient rehab options. Local inpatient drug rehabs near you are the best option for people struggling with severe SUDs and it has better success rates. Outpatient treatment programs tend to be more affordable and they serve to help people who have completed their inpatient therapy. Your treatment provider will make a choice between outpatient and inpatient rehab once you undergo the necessary assessments. 4
Next, you should look at the treatment techniques the rehab offers. You should look for a facility that has a positive track record of successful recovery in patients with similar needs to your own.4
Amenities are some of the most obvious features that set alcohol and drug treatment centers apart. Some facilities have such high living standards that can rival top hotels, while others are simply functional facilities that provide adequate help for patients.4
The professionalism of medical staff is also something to consider, as well as the accreditation of the facility. You may also want to check whether the facility offers aftercare planning services, as this is an important step of treatment.7
Why Choose an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
Both inpatient and outpatient addiction treatment have their own advantages and disadvantages. However, patients with severe or long-lasting SUDs may benefit more from lengthier residential programs.
Inpatient facilities typically require their patients to stay in a controlled environment under 24-hour care.4 A residential program can help individuals focus on recovery without being distracted by everyday life and exposed to triggers in their home environment. This can help prevent relapse and promote lasting sobriety once the patient leaves rehab.4
Many inpatient rehab centers also offer dual diagnosis/co-occurring disorder treatment. These programs aim to treat any co-occurring mental health disorders that might hinder your recovery.9
How to Choose Between a Local Rehab or an Out-of-State Rehab Program?
Many patients wonder whether they should pick a local drug rehab program or travel out of state to get treatment. This decision depends on different factors specific to the patient, including their budget, home environment, and severity of their SUD.10
If you are to receive outpatient care, then it might be smart to go to a drug rehab near you. This way, you won’t have to be away from your family and friends, which is one of the main reasons why many people might quit treatment.10
However, if you’re to receive inpatient treatment, you might want to consider traveling for rehab. This can be an effective option, as not all cities have the same number of quality options available to their residents.2
At the same time, choosing out-of-state rehab programs instead of rehab programs near you may point your mindset in the direction of recovery. This will allow you to start fresh in a new place and distance yourself from triggers. Not only that, but not being able to simply walk away from your treatment may also make it more likely for you to complete an inpatient program.10
How Do I Prepare for Drug and Alcohol Rehab?
Once you’ve committed to get treatment at either an out-of-state rehab or an alcohol and drug rehab near you, the next step is to prepare for your inpatient care.10
While it might be challenging to tell your employer about your rehab stay, it is often a necessity. Don’t worry about getting fired – there are many laws protecting your right to get treatment.11
If you are the primary caregiver of children, elderly parents, or pets, make sure they are taken care of.10 Similarly, if you are liable for paying any bills or debts while you’re away, you may want to sign up for automatic payments. You can also speak to a family member or a friend you trust to make sure everything is paid. It’s a good idea to let the courts know that you’ll be away at rehab. Your attorney might be able to help you.10
Finally, you don’t have to bring everything with you, only the essentials, such as seasonally appropriate clothes and personal hygiene items. In fact, staying at a local rehab facility can help you start a new, clean life, without any ties to your past or outside distractions that might compromise your choice to stay sober.10
How to Find an Alcohol and Drug Rehab Program Near Me?
People looking to find a local drug rehab in their area should contact their insurance provider to see if their plan covers substance abuse treatment. AAC can also help you get this information. All you need to do is fill out our verification form.
You may also call the AAC helpline and speak to an admission navigator who will check your benefits while you’re on the phone. This might help you get detailed information about the types of treatment available to you.
Frequently Asked Questions